With it getting hot my sweet tooth has taken on a decidedly chilly streak. I don’t want hot chocolate, heck I don’t even want hot coffee… I’m hot enough as it is. I want something COOL. And so my friends I am making ice cream. Copious amounts of ice cream and today’s is basic, but can be dolled up to be a real winner…
All alone this ice cream is a super tasty and decadent treat. The cream cheese flavor is outstanding and reminiscent of cheesecake but…
It’s not until you doll this baby up with your favorite fruit or pie filling and graham cracker crumbs that you go, hey, this is cheesecake ice cream!
Since we don’t all love the same fruit I made the cream cheese ice cream as a base but feel free to “mix in” your favorite fruit and graham cracker pieces or crumbs prior to freezing your tub of ice cream and you’re straight up in the cheesecake ice cream zone!
You might be wondering why would anyone make “cream cheese” ice cream? Well, Rob was wondering and expressed his concerns. “Why do cream cheese? Why not cheesecake ice cream?”
I love cheesecake. LOVE IT. It’s kind of this big deal that after years of not having cheesecake that I actually could at Red Lobster because it’s totally gluten free. The thing I never cared for regarding cheesecake was the crust. I am pretty much only down with graham cracker anything if it is smothered in chocolate and marshmallow. Only time. So back in the good ol’ days when I could eat cheesecake whenever I pleased I never, ever ate the crust. Like, I totally left that business on the plate every time.
And so I decided to dub this cream cheese ice cream instead of cheesecake ice cream so anyone with an aversion to graham crackers might still find and check this business out. Because it’s good y’all. So good.
And it’s not like you can’t add whatever you please to your ice cream when you make it so add graham crackers or jelly beans or whatever the heck you please. The world is your oyster. And if you want to keep it simple, cream cheese ice cream can be used to make killer cheesecake sundaes, like we have been doing because it’s so freaking YUM. Rob’s exact words upon a first bite “this is truly exceptional”. My fancy man :)
CREAM CHEESE ICE CREAM RECIPE
Indulgent and rich, this ice cream has the most perfectly smooth and creamy texture and is a great base to add your favorite fruit to. Add in graham cracker crumbs and you’ve cheesecake ice cream instead! This no churn ice cream recipe can be made without an ice cream maker, but if you want to make a soft serve style ice cream that is ready to eat in minutes, this recipe is the perfect size for use in a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.
- 1 package of cream cheese, softened (8 ounces)
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice (fresh squeezed is not necessary)
- In a cold metal bowl add softened cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk. Using hand beaters or a stand mixer fully incorporate scraping the bowl as needed.
- Add heavy cream and mix on high for several minutes or until soft peaks begin to form.
- Add in lemon juice and fully mix.
- Place into an air tight rubber food container and freeze 4-6 hours, though overnight is best.
* quick tip – If using the Cuisinart I suggest freezing the bowl, taking care that it is nice and flat in the freezer, for at least 48 hours.
* another quick tip – if you find that you have a hard time getting ice cream to “set up” place your mixture in the freezer for 1-2 hours or in the refrigerator overnight to get a firmer freeze straight from the ice cream maker.