If you enjoy savory dishes with a touch of fruity-sweet, you’re going to fall head over heels for this amazing seared chicken with wine & cherry sauce. A simple, yet flavorful one-skillet dish!
When it comes to just about any kind of trend or whatever, I’m always woefully behind. I firmly plant the blame on growing up in Oklahoma where without the internet, style trends didn’t reach us until they were already out of style everywhere else :) Girls in school were wearing sky-high bangs for far, far too long in my little school :)
Now that’s not to say we weren’t completely without the internet. I mean, in advanced computer science class in high school, which I totally took and totally loved even if I was one of only 3 girls in the entire room, I built my class-assigned website which may or may not have been devoted entirely to Leonardo diCaprio, perhaps, featuring way too many midi songs. Remember those?
Man, now you remember MIDI songs, right? Awful :) And you could never, like, turn the darn things off!!! You were just stuck. Can you imagine in computer class these suckers going off all around the room while we created our very own MIDI songs to match up with the theme of our personal sites? Gah. I bet Mr. Hare wanted to throttle us all. It’s probably why he got the nice classroom with his own office attached. I wonder if it was soundproof? :)
But I’ve gotten sidetracked like I so often do… I’m constantly just behind the curve on trends but I also seem to be right at the tail end of things being in season, too. Like, just the other day I wigged out because cherries are in season! Yay! But, wait. Aren’t they on the tail-end of freshness? Yup. So I grabbed a ginormous bag because I figured I better get while the getting is good.
My favorite thing to do with dark, sweet cherries is to get them really cold and eat them while I drink an equally cold Coca-Cola right from a glass bottle. Mmm. It’s like the freshest cherry Coke you’ll ever have in your entire life. In fact, I’d dub it LIFE CHANGING, haha!
Since I didn’t have enough time to put together a next-level, can you say “oh my goodness” cherry cobbler like my Aunt Jean used to make, I’m super stoked to share this super delicous, amazingly quick one-skillet cherry chicken recipe that I’m positive you’re going to LOVE. A little bit sweet, totally savory this is a perfect quick meal so hurry out and grab a bag of cherries while you still can!!!
Seared Chicken with Cherry & Wine Sauce Recipe
If you enjoy savory foods with just a hint of sweet and fruity, you’re going to absolutely fall in love with this surprisingly easy to prepare, one-skillet dish. Served with mashed potatoes, everything about this chicken with cherry wine sauce is just heavenly. This recipe serves 6.
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (can substitute chicken breasts if preferred)
- 1 T. olive oil
- seasoning salt
- 1 c. red cooking wine
- 2 T. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. chicken broth
- 3 T. butter
- 2 c. fresh pitted and quartered dark cherries
- Season chicken thighs with seasoning salt, basil, and pepper to your personal taste.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken thighs and cook until well seared on both sides, reaching an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Remove from skillet and set to the side, keeping warm.
- Add wine to skillet and scrape the bottom remove all of the charred on chicken goodness.
- Add sugar, stirring until dissolved followed by your chicken broth and butter. Stir until combined and butter is melted.
- Add cherries and bring sauce to a low boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thickened like a gravy. Serve cherry sauce over chicken.
Written by Allison Murray - Visit Website