Cornbread Sandwiches

November 15, 2016Allison Murray
Have you ever had a cornbread sandwich? It sounds amazing!

This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sargento® Cheese for IZEA. All opinions are 100% mine.

Have you ever had a cornbread sandwich? It sounds amazing!

I love cheese. I have always loved cheese. I remember when I was a little girl visiting my grandparents in Ohio eating Swiss cheese at the kitchen table with my Pop and to this day Swiss is one of my very favorite snacks of all time. Seriously. Just cut me off a chunk and I’m set. These days and for as long as I can remember I’ve also loved sandwiches. And a sandwich isn’t anything without cheese, in my humble opinion. I mean, why have a burger when you can have a CHEESEburger? Right?

Have you ever had a cornbread sandwich? It sounds amazing!

MY LATEST VIDEOS
MY LATEST VIDEOS

Rob and I ran out to the store for sandwich makings and we decided to also grab some Sargento® Sliced Cheese to try out some tasty sandwich concepts we worked up sitting on the sofa one day. The one that I was the most interested in was a turkey sandwich with rubbed sage mayo, cranberry sauce, orange marmalade and sliced provolone cheese on homemade cornbread slices. In dairy case I chose Sargento® for a good couple of reasons. First off it’s one of my favorites because it is REAL cheese. If you’re not a cheese fanatic like I am you might be wondering, well, what exactly is FAKE cheese?

Have you ever had a cornbread sandwich? It sounds amazing!

Well, it’s the stuff you unwrap from plastic sheets and put on your sandwich. That stuff is called pasteurized process cheese food which is a fancy way of saying it’s like cheese, but isn’t quite cheese. You might know it as American cheese. Here’s another fun fact to swallow down… American cheese is required to only contain 51% cheese. So what in the heck is the other 49%? Erm. I don’t quite know and so I’m just going to pass, thank you very much. Since I prefer to eat only 100% real cheese, and because I dig the taste and because this recipe pretty much requires cheese and not cheese food I suggest you run out and grab a few packages of Sargento® cheese slices.

Have you ever had a cornbread sandwich? It sounds amazing!

Now about this cornbread sandwich bread, how does all that work, hmm? It’s pretty darn easy. Grab a large, glass casserole dish and make your favorite cornbread recipe but ADD one extra egg. It doesn’t matter if it’s an age old recipe or from a box, do your thing! Grease your dish well and pour a very, very thin, like 1/4 inch of batter into the dish. Because this is a much smaller amount than you’d normally cook in one go use the same temperature advised by your recipe but cut the time in half. I’d normally bake mine 25 minutes so I checked mine around 12. A total of 16 minutes in the oven and my bread was perfectly cooked through. Allow to cool completely within the glass and flip the bread over onto the counter. Cut into 6 pieces perfect for 3 average sized sandwiches that holds it’s shape so well and doesn’t crumble away from you. Mmm. My first attempt I used a loaf pan, because, well, I was making sandwich bread. That was an epic fail, however. The outside started to burn while the middle was straight up liquid. Perhaps you can work it out but it just didn’t want to work for me! To make your cornbread sandwich bread more reminiscent of stuffing feel free to add rubbed sage, chopped onion, celery or garlic.

Have you ever had a cornbread sandwich? It sounds amazing!

To make each sandwich place a pile of turkey on one cornbread piece and a slice of provolone on the other. Toss in the oven to toast and make your cheese all warm and melty!

Have you ever had a cornbread sandwich? It sounds amazing!

Dress with cranberry sauce, mayo mixed with rubbed sage and orange marmalade and this is one of the MOST EPIC sandwiches you’re ever going to eat. For real! And it’s gonna be sooo good with Thanksgiving leftovers so be sure to pin this business!

Have you ever had a cornbread sandwich? It sounds amazing!

Head on out and grab your favorite Sargento® Sliced Cheese and get to making some of the best sandwiches you’re ever gonna eat outside of your favorite deli! For more ideas on how to cook with 100% REAL cheese hit up Sargento on Facebookand Instagram!

Visit Sponsors Site

Written by Allison Murray - Visit Website

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Previous Post Next Post

BEFORE YOU GO!

Sign up for my newsletter and grab my 10 most popular blog posts, I'll send them right to your email address.