Today we’re going to save a boatload of cash making out our own painted boat shoes.
I’ve seen and loved a good number of boat shoes I’ve found online that have bright fun colors and interesting patterns. But guess what, I can’t shell out $100+ for a pair of name brand boat shoes when they aren’t something that I could possibly work into my wardrobe often. Like at least every other day often.
So while I found and loved and pinned a ton of cute boat shoes I always knew that I would be window shopping only. Unless of course I won the lotto, which I have heard you actually have to play to win which kind of puts me out of the running. But, gah, how I want a pair.
Flash forward a few weeks and I’m sitting in the passenger seat while Russell is driving (probably to the craft store) when I get an email on my phone that has me crazy stoked. Ebay sends me a message showing new stock from one of my favored sellers. Just so happens for $15.99 I can get a pair of white, blank boat shoes. Say what?
Russell is trying to drive and talk to me and I get all sorts of short tempered. I. am. doing. something. here.
For this project you need:
- White, blank boat shoes (through aconde Ebay seller currently $15.99 including shipping costs!)
- Acrylic paint
- Fabric medium additive
- cotton swabs
Since I couldn’t find the exact colors of paint I wanted in fabric paint, I used my very large acrylic paint stash to mix up the colors I wanted. With the use of fabric medium additive, any acrylic paint can become fabric paint!
Oh, and sorry for the crap pictures. Crazy excitement doesn’t always coincide with the best possible natural light!
Give the shoes a base coat of light gray to the majority of the canvas. Then in a medium gray paint on the spots for the leopard print.
Taking a dark gray, ring the first blobs to make a cheetah-style print. In the past I’ve always gone fairly small in my cheetah print, but this go I went for big and bold!
Now take some lime paint and paint the section around the top and back. I didn’t tape off the cords but picked them up, painted beneath and gently set them back with little problems. I did keep getting paint onto the eyelets, however, so I wound up using a considerable number of cotton swabs to keep them nice and neat looking.
Before I finished up I painted the inside of the laces flaps lime green as well. Not sure why as I doubt it would have been noticeable but it is what it is!
Now these don’t look just like a pair of Sperry’s but I’m plenty happy with the results!
Up close I’m not terribly happy with my paint job, but as long as nobody tries to kiss my feet (and that would be a first) we should be all set. From a distance, these babies are awesome!
And that’s all she wrote, folks. I’ve been desperate to get back into some shoe DIYs and have a whole lot more planned to share this summer. Have a fantastic Shoesday Tuesday!
Written by Allison Murray - Visit Website