I love slightly sweet but totally savory snacks. They are the best! So today I’m sharing a non-candy treat you can hand out this Easter to help even out all of that candy that will be getting dealt with on the big day! You’d think that this would just flat out be sweet, but it isn’t. It has a surprisingly savory/snacky quality that I love about this recipe!
Honey Bunny Bait – Honey Nut Chex Mix Recipe
So simple to make, this slightly sweet and totally tasty savory snack can be knocked out in no time. Stuffed in some cute carrot treat bags and colored orange, honey nut Chex mix becomes Honey Bunny Bait!
- 2 c. Rice Chex
- 2 c. Corn Chex
- 1 c. Pretzel sticks
- 1 c. nuts (I used 1/2 c. almonds & 1/2 c. walnuts)
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/3 c. butter
- red and yellow food coloring (optional)
- non-stick aluminum foil
- Combine all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe, glass measuring cup. Add honey, stir well and heat for 30-45 seconds. Add food coloring if desired, stir until well incorporated. <– I used 50 yellow and 8 red as suggested on my packaging for orange but it was a bit much…
- Add wet ingredients to the bowl of dry using a large spoon or rubber spatula to turn and coat.
- Spread mixture over 2 prepared cookie sheets and bake at 350° for 6 minutes. Stir and bake for 4-6 minutes or until the mixture starts to glaze.
Now this recipe fits 5 carrot treat bags from Walmart PERFECTLY, just in case you need to plan like that!
Also this stuff burns so quickly. I left mine in about 2 minutes too long (I got distracted by a sudden puddle of puppy pee – ack!) and it tastes a little burnt to me but Rob, who didn’t know what happened, loved the caramel taste of the batch. So all isn’t totally lost if it goes a minute or so long, I suppose :)
Written by Allison Murray - Visit Website