My dad is definitely the master of the grill in this family. When he was willing to impart his grilling knowledge on me, specifically for steaks and lobster tails, I jumped at the chance. And since I like grilled fruit I asked to have the grill to make us dessert once dinner was finished. (p.s. – this post was written in early summer 2015 :)
The resulting dessert was oh so tasty, if not the greatest looking thing. But that’s the way things go sometimes, isn’t it? Sometimes the best things may not be the prettiest! I do, however, have an idea to make this dessert more palatable to the eye and I’ll give you that info in the recipe below.
Just know that my father, while not a picky eater, is not often impressed with food either. It will get an “okay” but after diving into this dessert he informed my mother that it was like “a dessert in a 4 star restaurant”. Now that’s a compliment that I will gladly take!
Coconut Cream Sauce Ingredients:
- 16 ounces coconut milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Bring coconut milk and brown sugar to a boil over high heat in a heavy bottom pan. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until the milk reduces by half.
- Remove a small amount of coconut milk from the pan and add cornstarch mixing until completely incorporated.
- Add corn starch mixture to pan and cook while stirring until sauce has thickened.
Grilled Banana Ingredients:
- 4 bananas
- white sugar
- aluminum foil
- Roll each banana in white sugar to cover.
- Create bowls from heavy aluminum foil and place the bananas inside.
- Grill for 15-20 minutes over low heat until the banana becomes soft and the sugar starts to caramelize.
Grilled Banana Sundae Ingredients:
- Vanilla ice cream
- Coconut cream sauce
- Warm grilled bananas
- Pineapple ice cream topping
- Flaked coconut
- Place one banana per bowl and top with vanilla ice cream.
- Garnish with pineapple topping, coconut cream topping and flaked coconut.
- Serve immediately.
Written by Allison Murray - Visit Website