So this is the third wall art project for my DIY home office and I am loving it! I was lucky enough to get my hands on an amazing Ed Roth stencil and some FolkArt paints that just so happen to fall in line with my chosen color scheme (I received free materials from last week’s sponsored post). If you missed it, check out my Ed Roth Stenciled Mirror post! I guess you can say that this project was a tester for my mirror and as much as I have used it, I realized that this sucker is seriously awesome.
In trying to think about what I used to have in here that was helpful and I no longer have, I kept thinking about my cork board tiles and how much I missed them. So why not kill THREE birds with one stone and make some stenciled cork boards? Bird 1 – an awesome way to use my new stencil and test ‘er out. Bird 2 – get my functional and useful cork boards back. Bird 3 – have something useful that will double as wall art.
For this project you will need:
- 12×12 inch cork boards (sold in a package for $5-7)
- sponge brush
- temporary or move-able spray adhesive
- Ed Roth stencil
- FolkArt Multi-surface paint
Spray the back of your stencil very lightly with your adhesive. If you go nuts you might tear up the cork when removing when done.
Allow the spray to get tacky and then place on the cork as straight as you can.
I decided that I wanted a star pattern within the center of my flowers so I had to plan accordingly. I marked each section that I wanted to paint with purple and then daubed it in.
In the end I wound up using a spouncer rather than my sponge brush because it worked better for my curvy shapes in the stencil, but depending on the stencil you choose one might work better over the other.
Since I alternated three colors I did my “middle” section of petals first and then allowed it to dry. When it was time to do the inner and outer petals there was no wait time between the two sets.
Remove the stencil and clean off the paint. Spray with adhesive, tack down and start on your second cork! It’s really just that easy!
I leaned my boards against the wall as I was working so I could choose my color combinations and pick accordingly so no two were the same. In all, the project took me 2 episodes of The Tudors so it’s a pretty quick one. And honestly, one was the one where Anne Boleyn has a really, really bad day and I spent a good portion of it getting all weepy and not daubing paint as efficiently as I could have :)
Now the only problem is that these are so pretty hardly want to stick pins in them. But I’m sure it won’t take long before I do!Written by Allison Murray - Visit Website