Some months ago I found some blue, purple and teal fabric that just floored me. It was perfect. I snagged up half a yard with the idea that I wanted to make a rag quilt with similar fabric. I had little swatches of everything I had in my purse and when I went to a new place I'd add to the quilt stash.
Now as it turned out, not all of them worked out together. That is a disappointing aspect of carrying little swatches when your patterns are mostly huge florals but that's okay. Fabric always gets used around here. I decided that this would be a good project to test out my new Brother sewing machine.
My Mimmie (grandmother) was a seamstress and managed a dry cleaners for most of her life. She knows sewing and she knows machines. My Singer started acting up and she would have me do this or that while she listened OVER THE PHONE. (she is crazy talented) Turns out that my machine went off time and it was going to cost $90 to have it looked at, or I could buy a new tricked out Brother for $130. Now I have 90 stitches I can use, yeah! Even though I've only used 2, yeah!
Now, I've never machine quilted before and so my quilt is less than perfect. Plus my Mimmie sort of explained what all I'd need to do and showed me some of it at my parents' house. But when I called her to aska question she informed me that she doesn't know what I'm talking about and that she can't tell me how to make something she's never even heard of. Great. But it worked out in the end as imperfect as it may be.